The MovieTickets Blog
Disney's John Lasseter Quits After Misconduct Claims
Jun 11, 2018 by: WENN
John Lasseter is to quit his role at Disney and Pixar after women accused him of inappropriate behavior.
The Toy Story director has been on leave since November last year after allegations against him surfaced in an investigation by The Hollywood Reporter.
Lasseter, 61, said in a statement on Friday he would leave Disney by the end of the year to focus on "new creative challenges."
"The last six months have provided an opportunity to reflect on my life, career and personal priorities. I have decided (that) the end of this year is the right time to begin focusing on new creative challenges," he added.
"I am extremely proud of what two of the most important and prolific animation studios have achieved under my leadership and I'm grateful for all the opportunities to follow my creative passion at Disney."
Disney said Lasseter would retain a "consulting role" at the company until his departure.
The allegations against the Disney/Pixar boss described a pattern of "alleged misconduct", with a number of insiders at the animation studios complaining of Lasseter's hugs and other unwanted forms of expression to The Hollywood Reporter.
Lasseter took what he called a six-month “sabbatical" after the allegations were published in November last year, and he apologized “to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug” or any other gesture that made them feel “disrespected or uncomfortable."
"No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected," he said at the time in an email to employees.
Lasseter joined Disney in 2006 when the studio bought Pixar, which he co-founded. As well as directing the 1995 hit Toy Story, he was the creative force behind A Bug's Life, Cars, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up and Frozen.
2018 WENN. All global rights reserved. No unauthorized copying or re-distributing permitted.