critic Reviews22% Rotten Tomatometer Score22%
- Serious Moonlight jumbles a comic tone with tragic circumstances and the result is confused performances from its stars.
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreMoira MacDonaldSeattle Times
Adrienne Shelly deserves better.
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreCarrie RickeyPhiladelphia Inquirer
More strident than funny, the film illustrates that old French proverb, "Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those inside desperate to get out."Read full article
- Fresh Tomatometer ScoreBetsy SharkeyLos Angeles Times
Serious Moonlight has its flaws, but then what marriage doesn't?Read full article
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreJoe NeumaierNew York Daily News
Meg Ryan really needs to steer clear of embarrassments like this.Read full article
- Fresh Tomatometer ScoreTom LongDetroit News
It's a tribute to writer Adrienne Shelley and first-time director Cheryl Hines that, despite the film's flaws, it ultimately pulls off its unlikely tone.Read full article
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreStephen HoldenNew York Times
Serious Moonlight suggests an unholy, watered-down hybrid of The Ref and Funny Games, played as a chirpy screwball comedy.
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreNikki BaughanRoll Credits
Part slapstick comedy and part revenge thriller, Serious Moonlight doesn't know what it wants to be; even the talents of those assembled on screen aren't enough to life this out of bargain bin territory.Read full article
- Rotten Tomatometer ScoreCandice FrederickReel Talk Online
The movie seriously goes on too long, with the last five minutes designed to be a twist in the story but really just left me scratching my head.Read full article
- Rotten Tomatometer ScorePerri NemiroffCinemaBlend
Ryan tries too hard to reestablish her professional reputation and turns it into a meaningless, annoying film destined for oblivion, right alongside her other recent efforts.Read full article
- Fresh Tomatometer ScoreChris BarsantiPopMatters
...tart, frequently goofy...Read full article