MovieTickets.com Sells Nearly 10% of Projected Weekend Box Office for Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith™
Monumental Traffic from Moviefone.com's Official Star Wars Area Boosts Sales on MovieTickets.com
(Los Angeles, CA – May 22, 2005) - Smashing all prior advance online ticketing sales records, MovieTickets.com, the nation’s most powerful and highly-trafficked online movie ticketing provider, estimates selling 10% of the total projected domestic opening weekend box office for Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith™.
Moviefone.com, the largest online movie destination on the Web, experienced massive traffic to its official "Star Wars Experience” area with more than 61 million page views. With its exclusive content partnership with the film, Moviefone.com generated nearly 20 million streams for the teaser trailer alone. MovieTickets.com handles all ticketing for Moviefone.com via links from Moviefone.com to a co-branded area on MovieTickets.com, and the powerhouse partnership supported this sales record.
- Movietickets.com sold up to 30 tickets per second during peak hours
- MovieTickets.com load time was only one to two seconds, providing consumers with a quick and easy transaction process
Star Wars sales and traffic began climbing early:
- According to Nielsen//NetRatings traffic to MoveTickets.com skyrocketed 85% and Moviefone also jumped 16% during the week ending May 15 (reported in New England Tech Wire)
- MovieTickets.com is the number one online movie ticketing service in traffic according to the two national ratings services for April 2005
- Moviefone.com was the most highly-trafficked online movie destination for April 2005, according to comScore Media Metrix
- Moviefone.com garnered more than four million page views into their "Star Wars Experience" area Wednesday through Saturday
- Moviefone.com’s Star Wars teaser trailer was streamed 20 million times, and the launch trailer was streamed 15 million times
- Sith will be MovieTickets.com's number one selling film of all time, outpacing Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King™ as the top seller
- MovieTickets.com, showcasing its leadership role in terms of technical performance, remained 100% stable and accessible during this period of tremendous traffic volume and simultaneous ticketing transactions
- MovieTickets.com's various purchase methods are proving to be valuable, as traffic and tickets sold on Internet enabled wireless devices has spiked since Sith tickets have gone on sale
- MovieTickets.com offers consumers ticketing inventory from over 30 theater chains, double the amount of its nearest competitor. MovieTickets.com's average screens per theater are 11 versus the industry average of six, and more than 50 percent of MovieTickets.com's exhibitors' theaters are 14 to 30-plex, stadium seated mega-plexes.
- MovieTickets.com's elite collection of partner theaters are some of the highest revenue producing theaters, consistently representing over 50% of the top 50 and over 50% of the top 100 grossing theaters in North America on any given weekend. MovieTickets.com exhibitors currently include:
AMC Theatres, Baederwood Movie Theatre Co., Brooklyn Academy of Music, Bryn Mawr Movie Theatre Co., Cinema Four-Quad, Cinemagic Movies, Classic Cinemas, Clearview Cinemas, Consolidated Theatres, Cornelius Cinemas, Crown Theatres, Dickinson Theatres, Entertainment Retail (Hollywood Hits), Famous Players, Harkins Theatres, Hoyts Cinemas, Kew Gardens (Cobble Hill), Krikorian Premiere Theatres, Landmark Theatres, Mann Theatres, Marcus Theatres, Metropolitan Theatres, Narberth Theatre, National Amusements, New York 1 & 2, Pacific Theatres, Paris Theater, Phoenix Theatres, Rave Motion Pictures, Reading Cinemas USA (City Cinemas), Ritz Theatres, Sayville Theatre, Spotlight Theatres and Watson Theatre.
MovieTickets.com, the leading Internet movie ticketing service in terms of traffic, technical performance, percentage representation of the highest grossing theaters, and the number of movie theatre exhibitors served when compared to its nearest rival, provides consumers with the ease of a virtual box office from the convenience of their home or office. Formed in spring 2000, MovieTickets.com is a joint venture between AMC Entertainment, Hollywood Media Corp. (NASDAQ: HOLL), National Amusements, Famous Players, Marcus Theatres (NYSE:MCS), Viacom (NYSE: VIA), and America Online, and leverages the collective exhibitor expertise to deliver consumers a premium movie ticketing experience. MovieTickets.com enables consumers to buy tickets online for movie screens across the United States and Canada, and in the U.K. Its elite collection of partner theaters consistently represents over 50% of the top 50 and over 50% of the top 100 grossing theaters in North America on any given weekend.
* Estimates are based on projected Star Wars box office as of May 22, 2005.
# # #