GOBLET STRIKES GOLD: MovieTickets.com Sells a Historic Number of Movie Tickets in Single Day; Projecting over $10 million in Online Purchases at Warp Speed
(Los Angeles, CA – November 20, 2005) -Experiencing historic ticket sales and flawless customer service, MovieTickets.com expects to hit $10 million in sales for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And scorching even Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith as it edged its way to the top, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has sold more tickets in a single day than any other film in MovieTickets.com’s history.
- Friday, November 18, was a record day for MovieTickets.com, selling more tickets site wide on this day than any other day in MovieTickets.com's history.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has sold more tickets in a single day than any other film in MovieTickets.com’s five-year history.
- MovieTickets.com once again demonstrated its leadership position in terms of technical performance, as purchases were processing quickly. During a measurement taken during peak weekend purchase hours, MovieTickets.com’s pages were loading at one second versus the nearest competitor at 56 seconds. Unlike the other online movie ticketing site, MovieTickets.com remained 100% stable and accessible during this period of tremendous traffic volume and simultaneous ticketing transactions.
- MovieTickets.com offers consumers ticketing inventory from 66 of the nation’s most powerful theater chains, up over 100 percent from 32 at this time last year, and more than double the amount of its nearest competitor.
- MovieTickets.com's elite collection of partner theaters are some of the highest revenue producing theaters, consistently representing over 50% of the top 50 and over 50% of the top 100 grossing theaters in North America on any given weekend.
MovieTickets.com exhibitors currently include:
All Star Entertainment, AMC Theatres, Ashbrie Cinemas, Atlantic Theaters, Atlas Cinemas, Baederwood Movie Theatre Co., Brooklyn Academy of Music, Bryn Mawr Movie Theatre Co., Camera Cinemas, Celebrity Theatres, Channelside Cinemas, Cinema Centers, Cinema Four-Quad, Cinemagic Movies, Cinemall, Classic Cinemas, Clearview Cinemas, Consolidated Theatres, Cornelius Cinemas, Crown Theatres, Dickinson Theatres, Eastern Shores, Entertainment Retail (Hollywood Hits), Famous Players, Film Forum, Greater Huntington Theatres, Greenville Cinemas, Hallett Cinemas, Harkins Theatres, Hollywood Premier Cinemas, Hoyts Cinemas, IFC Center, Kew Gardens (Cobble Hill), Krikorian Premiere Theatres, Landmark Theatres, Malco Theatres, Mann Theatres, Marco Movies, Marcus Theatres, Marquee Cinemas, Metropolitan Theatres, MJR Theatres, Narberth Theatre, National Amusements, New York 1 & 2, Omniplex Theatre Group, O'Neil Theatres, Pacific Theatres, Paris Theater, Pavilion Theatre, Phoenix Theatres, Pickwick Theatres, Rave Motion Pictures, Reading Cinemas USA (City Cinemas), Ritz Theatres, Riviera Cinemas, Rocky Mountain Cinemas, Roxy Theatres, Santikos Theaters, Sayville Theatre, Sea Turtle Cinemas, Spotlight Theatres, Studio Movie Grill, UltraStar Cinemas, Watson Theatre, and Westates Theatres.
MovieTickets.com, the most powerful Internet movie ticketing service, provides consumers with the ease of a virtual box office from the convenience of their home or office. Formed in spring 2000, MovieTickets.com is a joint venture between AMC Entertainment, Hollywood Media Corp. (NASDAQ: HOLL), National Amusements, Famous Players, Marcus Theatres (NYSE:MCS), Viacom (NYSE: VIA), and America Online, and leverages the collective exhibitor expertise to deliver consumers a premium movie ticketing experience. MovieTickets.com enables consumers to buy tickets online for movie screens across the United States and Canada, and in the U.K. Its elite collection of partner theaters consistently represents over 50% of the top 50 and over 50% of the top 100 grossing theaters in North America on any given weekend.
* Estimates are based on projected Star Wars box office as of May 22, 2005.
# # #